Sunday, May 11, 2008

Thoughts on a Distant Mother ...

When she's hurting, we don't even know it, though every now and then we feel a connection to a distant mother, unknown, but not unremembered. For reasons we cannot begin to fathom, let alone understand, a despondent mother took a leap of faith on September 24th, 2006. With the weight of the world on her shoulders, she chose to leave her newborn in God's hands. Not likely understanding that His plan was already laid out for her little girl. Was she married? If so, what impact did her decision have on her husband? Did they reach this decision together or will one or the other always wonder what might have been? Did she have other children? Probably not, but if so, what did they think about the fate of their baby sister? Did she wait to see if someone rescued the newly displaced infant or did she hurry off for fear of discovery by authorities whose paths might cross hers on that day?

Founded in the hope that her baby girl would be cared for and nurtured, perhaps even loved one day, she took a leap of faith. She placed her newborn baby girl at the entrance to the social welfare institute and surrendered her future to others. Does she long to go back to that day and change recorded history? To erase the investigation of the discovery of a newborn baby girl, found all alone in a world not adequately equipped for the tough work of caring for newborn baby girls. Would she change anything from that day if she had it to do over again? How has her life changed since that decision?

These are all questions with elusive answers. Answers that we know we may be called upon to help find one day when the innermost being of a young lady needs to be discovered. On that day, we hope and pray that we have been obedient to a God that will meet our sweet baby girl's need for closure and who will equip us with knowledge and wisdom beyond what we have to offer now. Lately, Lily Grace has begun using the Chinese word for grandma to identify the nanny who provided her primary care in her orphanage. She sees her image and calls her the same thing every time. So we know for a fact that she remembers who provided care for her. Perhaps she also remembers her surroundings and circumstances. And this confirms our need to be prepared to answer the call one day to help her understand. For now, however, as Casting Crowns sings, all we can do is "Love Her Like Jesus." And if we do that, I know that He will provide everything else that's needed. And that's our leap of faith.

And so on this Mother's Day, we thank God, not only for our Mothers and our children's grandmothers, but also for a mother in a distant land, who may be faced with daily agony over what became of the sweet, little baby girl that she could not keep. We thank God that she chose to place her baby where she would be found and cared for so that she could eventually become a wonderful addition to our family. We pray that somehow God will envelop her in the peaceful knowledge that her baby is right where He had planned for her to be. In a loving home, a forever home, where she is growing and thriving on life in all its abundance. In a life that only Jesus Christ, Himself, could provide. And we are privileged to be a part of that life.



Happy Mother's Day and Thank You Jesus!

Love,
Jerry, Connie, Austin, Lily Grace (and Lia Faith out there somewhere)
Green, Party of Five

5 comments:

Sherri said...

I've often had those same thoughts about the birth mothers of our girls...

When we were in Guangzhou adopting Olivia, I noticed several times young women looking at Olivia in our baby sling and then bursting into tears. I imagined that these women had either had the pain of placing a child for adoption, or knew someone who had. It broke my heart. And since Olivia was from that province, I wondered whether one of these women might have known her more intimately....

I love your posts.

Sherri

The Ferrill's said...

Oh how perfectly said. Makes my heart so full of emotion, and I agree with you in prayer for these mothers who gave US the gift of these children's lives! I also agree with your prayer for God to: "equip us with knowledge and wisdom beyond what we have to offer now." When that day comes that our children ask those questions, we can lean on the One who has all the answers...
Love yall so much!
Laine

Aimee said...

I was so happy when I read your comment about your paperwork...could it be?? I hope God allows us to travel together. And I hope its soon, I am going nutso. I wish I had your patience right now!

Aimee said...

I was so happy when I read your comment about your paperwork...could it be?? I hope God allows us to travel together. And I hope its soon, I am going nutso. I wish I had your patience right now!

The Princess's Mommy said...

What a sweet post! I am so thankful for Lily's birthmother and the precious gift she gave me! I can't wait to see another sweet face in that family photo!
Love,
Monica