Friday, May 16, 2008

Soul Stocked!

As darkness gave way to morning light, I had a feeling that something cool was going to happen that day. But the clouds filling the sky echoed their own prophecy. "Who Am I" to think that something cool would happen today. It looks like rain, not reign. But "This is the Day" that the Lord has made (and I should rejoice and be glad in it), right? I wanted a sunny day and instead, all I got were clouds threatening rain and thunder and muddy fields for my favorite Saturday of the year - SoulStock!

Looks like umbrellas and raincoats might be the order of the day, on this anniversary of one of the coolest gatherings our fair city has ever hosted. Shame on you, Jerry, for I know the plans I have says God. Plans for an awesome day, filled with My believers worshiping and leading others to My truth! And so around noon, an hour before the gates were to open, the clouds' prophecy was dismissed and a beautiful day dawned. A day fit for outdoor activity, a day the Chamber of Commerce would like to bottle for future events and outdoor gatherings.

How is it that God blesses a city the size of Athens with some of the most awesome names in Christian music every year? Audio Adrenaline, Third Day, Kutless, Newsboys, etc ... Wait, I know what it is - it is unity. You see, the music festival is presented by the local churches in Limestone County and all denominations are involved, yet it is not about the denominations, it's about the message of Jesus! And it's presented in a way that is cool to the youth of our community. And its' free. That's right, free. And now, we're seeing youth from as far away as Kentucky show up for this day of worship. But it's not just youth - they even let some of us old-timers in the gates to raise our hands in praise too!

This year's offering consisted of Skillet, Building 429, DecembeRadio, Ohio Avenue, and Alabaster Box. Brother Joel Carwile fired us all up with a fiery message of hope for the future. Skillet was really good, but my head is hurting from all the banging and screaming! If you haven't seen Building 429, do whatever it takes to see them next opportunity. I promise you won't be disappointed. I have seen them three times now and they get better each time. In addition to having some of the best Christian music on the charts, they share a message of giving and of supporting hurting and lost children around the world. Their message was almost as long as their musical performance and encouraged the believers to demonstrate their faith by stepping out on a World Vision and sponsoring a child. Our pastor's wife got to ferry the lead singer and his family to and from the concert site. She said he was stunned at the turnout - well over 18,000. Austin and I quickly became fans of DecembeRadio - they were awesome. Ohio Avenue is definitely an up and coming group. And Alabaster Box has the current Number 1 song on Christian radio - in Australia!

Lily Grace didn't get to go this year, because she was invited to a birthday party with her Grandma Sara and well, you can't take little ones away from their grandma's plans, now can you? If you're not doing anything next May 3, why not plan to come to SoulStock X - it is shaping up as a must see for 2009! And did I mention it's free? I can't wait. See you there next year.




Love,
Jerry, Connie, Austin, Lily Grace (and Lia Faith out there somewhere),
Green, Party of Five

2 comments:

Tina said...

Oh, Wish we had known. I would have loved to been there! Maybe next year. Glad you had a good time,
Tina

waiting4lexi@gmail.com said...

I am so happy for your family. I am also just in awe of the speed and wonder of God's timing. He is Good, so Good. We have just this week decided to switch to special needs. I wondered if u might b able 2 give me some info on how this works and if i could b included as a viewer of your new blog. u can email me any time @ missmary5@cox.net or blog @ sammonsfamily7@blogspot.com