Saturday, May 24, 2008

A Lesson in Faith ...

and A Reminder that God is in Control.

Sometimes we become so entrenched in our daily routines and the complexities, such as they are, of our lives, that we forget that these lives actually belong to God, Himself, and not to us. He created us ... for His pleasure, not our wishes, whims, and desires. The world provides so many opportunities to get distracted and stray from His plan and His truth. And so we trek along on our paths, claiming God's blessings along the way and questioning why things we deem bad happen to us. And what about Faith? Are we not continually stockpiling this precious commodity for the rainy day that is sure to come? With a certainty that only He knows, God shows up and implements the next phase of His plan. Sometimes, we're pleasantly surprised at His script and sometimes we are shocked, left to ask questions for which we will not find easy answers or even any answers at all. And that's when our Faith becomes important. Doesn't His Word tell us in Romans 8:28 that "All things work for the good of those that love Him?"

Connie, Austin, Lily Grace and I drove to Nashville today to attend the funeral for Maria Sue, youngest daughter of Steven Curtis and Mary Beth Chapman. By now, all of you know the sad, tragic event that occurred in the Chapman family. You know the details and I am sure you are in deep prayer for the Chapmans in their time of remembering their precious Maria Sue. I did not want to go, but Connie kept saying that we should since Steven Curtis Chapman has been such an inspiration to us during our adoptions of Lily Grace and Lia Faith. That we should stand with the Chapmans and for them in their time of need. I said that should be private, with only family members and invited guests. But after much discussion and prayer, I agreed (around midnight last night) that we would go. I had no idea that God had laid out plans for a lesson in Faith for all of us. It turns out that a large number of others also decided they would go and God had His plan for this day's lesson in Faith and Worship all mapped out. It wasn't about anybody or anything but Him, and Faith in His plans.

On this day, God allowed us to participate with the Chapmans in a Worship service that lasted nearly three hours and along the way, He showed us a powerful Faith that lives within Steven Curtis and Mary Beth Chapman and all their children. He used this immeasurable Faith to His Glory in the day's lesson. We sang, we cried, we sang some more. We laughed, we cried, then we sang some more. We heard the Gospel and the blessings of this great truth and we cried with joy knowing that Maria Sue had met her Jesus. We sang, we cried, and then we cried some more. We heard stories from many of the Chapmans, including Steven and Mary Beth, and learned more than we ever knew about the miracle of Maria Sue. We thank the Chapmans for being so open and sharing their memories of Maria Sue and the intimate, tender emotions that describe their world in her passing.

It's funny, every time I think I've got this blessing thing figured out, God has to set me straight. We thought we were paying our respects and that our being there amongst all the other well wishers and comfort givers would somehow help the Chapmans see the impact they have had on so many lives. You know, a show of force for the sake of love. Not that they would even know who we were, only that we had come. And God said "Guess what? Here's a blessing for you!" as He held up this most awesome family in the palm of His hand and allowed their Faith in Him to be a blessing and a lesson to us all. Thank you Jesus for that, and thank you for Steven Curtis and Mary Beth Chapman, and for all of their children who demonstrated a Faith that moved mountains on this day.

Please continue to pray with us for the Chapmans and their entire family. And thank you Connie for making sure we attended class today.




Love,
Jerry, Connie, Austin, and Lily Grace (and Lia Faith, out there somewhere)
Green, Party of Five

6 comments:

Sherri said...

Wow. I wept as I read this. You are a very gifted writer.

I would like to think I would be able to worship like that in such a time of grief. The Chapman family has been on my heart since I heard of the tragedy. I can only imagine the grief that their son must feel....knowing how my own sons would react in the same situation. My heart goes out to him.

Thank you for sharing.

Sherri

The Princess's Mommy said...

What an amazing post. We will continue to remember the Chapman family in our thoughts and prayers. What a blessing that they can continue to share Jesus in their time of sorrow. I'm glad you got to go and thank you for sharing your experience. This post touched my heart this morning.
Love,
Monica

The Ferrill's said...

wow, what a blessing that you could be there to share in their memories and their mourning and watch first-hand the Lord shine His light through that family. We pray for them daily, thank you so much for sharing this. I know it must have been such an emotional experience, but I'm so glad yall were able to go.
Love yall
Laine

Anonymous said...

You are such an inspiration and a blessing to all of us. I could never put into words how much that tragedy has changed my heart. I look at my babies a little differently. I am reminded that they are not mine. They are a gift to be cherished. You have shared a special moment. I know what a blessing it must have been to be with the family. I know it was hard. Thank you so much for sharing.
I love you all so much! I miss you!
Laura

Lisa said...

Thank you so much for sharing your heart. I can't even begin to imagine being there with them in there time of loss, but yet we need to rejoice that she is with her heavenly father. This tragedy has really struck home for us. I shared this with our kids, as our kids are so close in age to their teenage son and Maria. Josh was upset at the thought that he could possibly do that to Ana Claire. I asked him if he could even imagine how the Chapman son must feel. It was such a tragic accident. Things like this can happen so quick and easily. I pray that God gives their son the peace he needs to heal him. My heart aches for all of them.

Denna said...

Very Good Post!!!