Saturday, September 09, 2006

Rocket Science, Miracles, and Football Games

Still trying to catch up. Austin missed a week of school once and it took him a month to catch up. I've missed a week of posting, I hope it doesn't take me a month to catch up. This is harder than rocket science (and I should know).

One day in April of this year, Connie and I went to Birmingham to meet this lady named Lily, who was planning to help us complete an adoption in China later in the year. We patiently waited our turn to talk to Lily (she was extremely popular) and then told her about our little Lily Grace. She was happy we had selected the name Lily. When we told her of our plan to take our 12 yr old son, Austin, to China with us, she was very happy. She told us that this trip would change his life forever and that he'd be a different person, a better person, who could appreciate his own life here in the States with newfound enthusiasm after witnessing some of the conditions of daily life in China. I was in full agreement. Yes, Lily, you are so right. This will definitely change Austin's life. He will learn so much, see so much, and experience so much. Unfortunately, he will see poverty like he's never seen before, he'll be one of millions walking the streets of Nanchang, lost in a sea of faces, only one of a few on those streets found in the Lamb's book of life. Yes, I told Lily. He will be changed forever. He will hear a different language, see a different people, taste different foods (well, maybe not that) ... All the while, I'm sure God was just sitting there watching this conversation and chuckling to himself. "Yes, Jerry, Austin will be changed. I'll see to that. But what about you?"

In all the agreement with Lily, it hardly occurred to me that either Connie or I would be so impacted by what we would see, hear, smell, experience in China. God must have thought I was some know-it-all, explaining to Lily how I agreed with her assessment for my son, while not even acknowledging the potential impact on me.

Oh my! ........ God is so Awesome! Thank you God for what You have done! Connie and I both experienced a significant change in our outlook, our understanding of others, our appreciation for the blessings God has given us, and on and on. In short, we were both changed forever, especially on the day, God presented Lily Grace to us, a beautiful, frightened little child who would begin to change us as much as we would her over the next few weeks. Prior to China, we would have never been so open about such personal things, and to be honest, I still feel a little odd and somewhat embarrased. But when one sees and experiences a miracle firsthand, there is nothing you can do but climb to the highest place and shout it out loud!! So here I am, sharing personal stories and details of our family, for the sole purpose that there might be someone who would be encouraged by what they read. That they too might be as blessed as Connie, Austin, Lily Grace, and I have been. We have already been able to meet several people traveling the same journey we have and who share similar concerns and thoughts. We've been able to help others who are nearing their trip to China, one of whom is adopting Lily Grace's best friend! That's why we continue to post. I'm sorry if ourposts are longer than posts are supposed to be, but I was trained to be complete in everything I do and so cannot leave out details, especially when there are miracles involved. My prayer for all who might read our posts would be that they be attentive to God's will in their lives, so that He can bless them as He has already planned to do, creating in their lives, a miracle as He has for us.

Now, it's Friday (actually it's Saturday) and that means football, football, and more football! Austin's team, the East Limestone Indians, have already played two games. In the first game, the Indians fell to the mighty Athens Golden Eagles 44-15. [Note, Muscle Shoals fell victim to Athens tonight by a similar score.] Funny thing happened in this game. I graduated from Athens, while Connie graduated from East Limestone. So, who sits where? In the first half, Connie and Lily Grace sat on the Athens side with Connie's mom, while I sat on the East Limestone side with my mom! Crazy! BTW, the newspaper reported that the attendance was estimated at 9,000. Sounds a little high to me, but the stadium was packed as I have never before seen it, including one little Lily Grace experiencing her first high school football game.

In their second game (tonight), East Limestone managed a win versus Priceville, 35-21. Where are all the defenses?Lily Grace enjoyed both games to their very end, even running around on the field after the games as Austin completed his chores for Coach Pugh. I'm not sure Lily has a clue what's going on, but she really seems to be developing some people skills. Austin likes to carry her around at the games (I'm sure the fact that she attracts all his little girl "friends" has nothing to do with that!). Our friends in the East Limestone community have been so wonderful and accepting of Lily Grace (God has been planning ahead I think). We are really excited for her to meet our friends in the community while she watches big brother on the other side of the fence. Oh, and she really loves the band - in China, Lily would never have gotten to hear a good high school band, and East Limestone is definitely one of the best around. Anyway, she dances and claps her hands as they play and chant the Indians fight song. She's even learned the motions of the tomahawk chant!

As a side note, Lily Grace managed her first complete sentence in English, complete with appropriate hand motions - Rollllllllll Tie (Tie is a shortened version of Tide used often by those 2 yrs old or less. Watch it you Auburn and Tennessee fans, you know who you are)! Though I am very pleased with the progress of her English, I can claim no contribution in this case. Connie taught her this while I was at work - I think to surprise me.

Keep on Praying. In Everything, Give Thanks to Him!

Love,
Jerry, Connie, Austin, and Lily Grace
Green, Party of Four

2 comments:

Our Adoption Story said...

Lily meant to say Roll Tide Yuck in order to complete her sentence. She must have been side tracked. War Eagle! I am so glad she is loving the Fall! It is my favorite time of year- Football, new changes outside, and just lots of excitement!
God is Good!

drew and lori said...

ACTUALLY- Lily MEANT to say GO VOLS!! just wait til Aunt Lori teaches her how to howl like smokey! it was great seeing you this weekend and jerry- all kidding aside- don't ever get discouraged with posting- they are DEFINITELY worth the wait!!! thanks for being so open and reflective for all of us. Your family is such a gift to us!