Thursday, July 12, 2007

Another Installment of Beach Fun


Last year, we came to Ft Walton Beach about this same time after enduring several false hopes of traveling to China. We thought we'd go before Memorial Day, then certainly early June, then late June, then early July, then who knows. Those of you who have endured this roller coaster know exactly the emotions that get rocked by this ebb and flow. We had been up and down for two months and just decided at the last minute to get away for a long weekend. It was one of the most enjoyable trips to the beach we ever had. We knew that God would eventually pave the way for us to go to China and we knew that this would be our last vacation as just the three of us (Jerry, Connie, and Austin). So we quit worrying about when we would go to China and just enjoyed being with each other and spending quality time. I think it meant a lot to Austin because we had been so focused on Lily Grace. So during the trip last year, we did everything we could to focus on our time with Austin. On that trip, God introduced us to a couple from Arkansas at dinner one night who had adopted a little girl from China. She was beautiful and we knew then that God had everything worked out for us to go as soon as we got back. And we did, on July the 17th. It's hard to believe that it's already been a year. In less than two weeks, we will celebrate the first anniversary of Lily Grace's "Gotcha Day!"



Now, back to the future. Today was our last day at the beach. Tomorrow, we pack up and head north with lots of great memories of Austin and Lily Grace at the beach. Lily's first trip to the beach would have to be catergorized as a huge success. This year, we had two kids to enjoy and share time with. We spent time today doing a little site seeing, first going on a Dolphin cruise and then watching the shows at the Gulfarium. The coolest thing about our Dolphin cruise was the name of the boat - Expect a Miracle!




One last story and then you can enjoy the pictures. God had been telling me all week, that this was not just a vacation, He wanted me to tell someone about Him. He even sent an entire youth group or two to carry around their Bibles as a reminder of what He wanted done. So, I kept asking Him to tell me who or to give me something as a help. You know it's not the easiest thing to do to walk up to someone on the beach and strike up a conversation about Jesus. I'm thinking they will probably tell me to leave them alone. So I kept asking for help. Today, I took a long walk alone on the beach and there by the pier at the Gulfarium was a young man tossing a fishing net out to sea! I thought OK, that's who I'm supposed to talk to and now God has given me the opportunity. What better clue could I have been given? It turns out that "Mike" is a soldier in the U.S. Army with a temporary duty station here in Ft Walton Beach. His wife "Ashleigh" was his helper today, as she always is. Says she can either sit home and wait for him or come with him where ever he goes. The fishing wasn't good today, so Mike didn't mind my interruption into his day. Anyway, we talked about Jesus and about praying. He said that he didn't pray as often as he should - who among us can claim that we do? I told him about Psalm 91, the soldiers' prayer, and suggested that he read it when he gets a chance. He said he would. I also told him that I would pray for him and for Ashleigh and I think it was a comfort to him. And, oh, by the way, thank you God for the opportunity and the clue. Maybe one day, I'll be able to focus more on You and less on things that won't live past today.




Love,
Green, Party of Four

5 comments:

drew and lori said...

you need a poster size canvas portrait of that last photo! great post jerry!

The Princess's Mommy said...

Oh My!! Just beautiful!! (The words and the pictures!)
Love,
Monica

Sonya said...

THOSE PICS ARE GREAT!!!!!!

The Ferrill's said...

Pics are BEAUTIFUL, but the testimony is even more precious! Praise God!
Laine

Denna said...

Great Pictures.