Sunday, July 01, 2007

A Soldier's Day Off ...


Austin and Lily Grace's cousin Dave is a soldier in the U.S. Army National Guard and has been deployed to Iraq for a long time. We are very thankful that Dave and others like him have the courage and the patriotism to do the things they do to ensure that we as Americans don't have to endure another 9/11. You don't hear much positive said about the war in Iraq and Afghanistan on the news and the soldiers don't often get the respect they so greatly deserve. The sacrifices that our soldiers make provide us the luxury of taking for granted the freedoms that we enjoy. A soldier once told me that the reason he fought was so that those who would protest have the freedom to do so. A funny twist on things, wouldn't you agree. Our soldiers are doing a hard job, a job that many of us would simply be unable to accomplish. They face life and death circumstances each and every day, sometimes many times a day. The stress they endure is immeasurable, and so they need our prayers. Lift them up with Psalm 91, the Soldier's Prayer, when you get a chance - this is an amazing prayer that has worked miracles in the lives of many who have faced combat. I know this because they told me so. And there cannot be a stronger witness to God's glory than testimony of answered prayers to specific requests like Psalm 91. Dave's been in the service nearly 7 years now and plans to retire to civilian life after his last tour which starts next week. Please pray for Dave and his wife Tiffany and for his mother Carol.

Psalm 91: My Refuge and My Fortress
91:1 He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High
will abide in the shadow of the Almighty.
2 I will say [1] to the Lord, “My refuge and my fortress,
my God, in whom I trust.”

3 For he will deliver you from the snare of the fowler
and from the deadly pestilence.
4 He will cover you with his pinions,
and under his wings you will find refuge;
his faithfulness is a shield and buckler.
5 You will not fear the terror of the night,
nor the arrow that flies by day,
6 nor the pestilence that stalks in darkness,
nor the destruction that wastes at noonday.

7 A thousand may fall at your side,
ten thousand at your right hand,
but it will not come near you.
8 You will only look with your eyes
and see the recompense of the wicked.

9 Because you have made the Lord your dwelling place—
the Most High, who is my refuge [2]—
10 no evil shall be allowed to befall you,
no plague come near your tent.

11 For he will command his angels concerning you
to guard you in all your ways.
12 On their hands they will bear you up,
lest you strike your foot against a stone.
13 You will tread on the lion and the adder;
the young lion and the serpent you will trample underfoot.

14 “Because he holds fast to me in love, I will deliver him;
I will protect him, because he knows my name.
15 When he calls to me, I will answer him;
I will be with him in trouble;
I will rescue him and honor him.
16 With long life I will satisfy him
and show him my salvation.”




http://home.insightbb.com/~armedforcestribute/

2 comments:

drew and lori said...

PLEASE let then know we are praying for them!! - especially his wife- I know how hard it is for these families- a thought I think most people don't even think about. So, we are PRAYING!! And for this family- we are grateful, humbled and inspired by men and families like Dave.

The Ferrill's said...

Praise God for our soldiers...I am praying for them daily as my brother-in-law is on his 2nd tour in Iraq. Dave is a very brave man, and his wife is just as brave. Thank you for this tribute and reminder to pray for our leaders and our military. Happy 4th of July, Green Party of Four!
laine