Monday, February 19, 2007

Party Like Pigs!

No, no stop laughing. It's Chinese New Year and by the Chinese customs, 2007 is the year of the pig. And believe it or not, I took it to heart when it came time to eat Saturday night (and Sunday night, but that's another post). Yes, I ate Chinese food in significant portions. Connie, on the other hand, was very reserved and lady-like in her partaking. I had so much food, I didn't even save room for the dessert. Now, I would have to say that I've come a long way in my tastes for Asian food in the past year. When some of my buddies at work found out last year that I was going to China, they couldn't stop laughing. "You? How in the world are you going to survive?" They knew that if they wanted to go to lunch without me (now why would they want to do that?), all they had to do was suggest Chinese. Well, that's all changing now. Thanks to God, a little Chinese doll named Lily Grace, and her ma-ma. Sorry Lily, Austin's still holding out (Mickie D's on the way home ... or was that Sunday night?).



Adopted Chinese children, cute as can be, every one of them!


Now, back to the party. Athens FCC Absolutely Rocks! Wow, what a celebration that Athens FCC put on for Chinese New Year. Food, dragons, games, tatoos, crafts, and even a few fun things for the kids to do! We were blessed to be a part of an awesome celebration at Lindsay Lane Baptist Church this past Saturday night. Thank you Lindsay Lane for allowing us the use of God's house for the evening! I'm not sure how many party people we had, but I'm guessing it was somewhere around 90 to 100! Last year Connie, Jane, Austin, Kaitlyn, and I attended and there were about 30 or so. This year we got to take Lily to her first Chinese New Year party. Kaitlyn came with us again and both Memaw and Granny came to celebrate as well. That makes 7 in our party alone! There were several new families and several who are waiting to go to China to bring their little miracles home. Some came from Decatur and even as far away as Florence. The fellowship hall at Lindsay Lane was nicely decorated and set up for the kids to have a great time. Lily Grace had so much fun she didn't want to go home. "No, ma-ma, not go home!! Da-ee! Da-ee!"
















Austin and Kaitlyn enjoyed putting tatoos on the little ones (and on me too! How come Connie didn't get one?) and showing them the crafts and games. Then the little ones learned how to put on tatoos and things got out of control. Of course, no Chinese New Year celebration is complete without the obligatory dragon parade. The kids really love the dragons, just don't get in the way. These dragons could have earned the pole at Daytona with a little drafting help! Connie kept trying to get pictures, but ended up with nothing but a blur!



If we could impose upon you for anything as we begin another year in the lunar calendar, it would be to pray for all God's children. They are such beautiful little creations. I believe that the closest I can come to seeing Jesus this side of Heaven is to look as deeply as I can into the eyes of a child. Yet, so many of them, both here and in China, are living in unfortunate circumstances. When you see, firsthand, the conditions of their meager existence, it just breaks your heart. So please pray.



















Happy New Year!! Love,
Jerry, Connie, Austin, and Lily Grace

4 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

Awesome post and awesome Chinese New Year celebration!!!!!!
Gong Xi Gong Xi!
Laine

drew and lori said...

jerry - you get better and better with this blogging thing and timing! loved the post!

Russ and Lisa W. said...

Another Great story! We hope you had Lot's of fun at CNY! I know Russ and I sure did!!!

drew and lori said...

we're waiting......