Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Day We Met Lily Grace

Some things are just simply meant to be. God planned it and that's that. This was never more evident for us than on January 17th, 2006. You see, that's the day that God laid out long ago for us to see a picture of Lily Grace for the first time. We were already planning to adopt a child from China and had contracted with Lifeline Children's Services in Birmingham, AL (simply the most professional and loving Christian agency we could have hoped for. But that's another story for another day).


We had already had our application in to Lifeline for a little over a month and were in the midst of completing the required paperwork for the adoption. Connie had learned that Lifeline would occassionally list children from China who were deemed by the Chinese to have a special need and therefore not eligible for referral (or at least I think that's the way it worked). Such was the case on January 17th, 2006. Connie raced home from work (maybe she didn't go at all this day?) to see the new list. I wasn't yet aware that she was doing this, but got a call at work telling me that there was this list of children who needed a family and that we should consider it.

I could tell that Connie was more excited than I'd ever seen her and was planning to look over the list. I prayed that this was God's plan, because I sure didn't have it my mind that this is the way our adoption would go. "What's a special need? What kind of care would she require? Do we have enough insurance?" Anyway, Connie called again later to tell me she'd been reading the biography of the kids on the list (now that I think about it, I don't think Connie was able to go to work that day!).
I told her I'd be home around 5:00 and we'd discuss it during dinner. "Hahaha, LOL, Hahaha, we'll discuss it over dinner, good one Jerry." On the way home, another call. "Get home now!! I've seen the list and they have pictures." "OK, ok, I'm on my way." Click. "Oh no?"

I arrived home, just as I'd promised, around 5:00 pm to a beaming wife hiding something behind her back. "Did you go to work today, honey?" Tears. "There's a little girl I think you'd better read about." Tears. "OK, ok, let's talk about it, but I don't want to see any pictures." At that point, the hidden treasure behind Connie's back, a picture of Jiang Yong Xing, was presented to me and just like that, it was done. "Forget the biography, how do we make sure we get to bring this little girl home!" More tears.



"But what do we do now?" Not to worry. When a mother sees her baby for the first time, they know what to do. God created them that way. Lily Grace, we will always remember this day and when you get old enough to understand, we'll be so excited to tell you this story and more!






Love,
Jerry, Connie, Austin, and Lily Grace

7 comments:

The Ferrill's said...

Okay, I've got chills from head to toe! Thank you for sharing about the first time you saw your beautiful baby girl. SWEET! And thank you for the sweet post on our blog! I had read your blog a month ago and then lost it, so I'm SO glad to find it again and catch up on everything!
Blessings,
Laine Ferrill
kimmiequan.blogspot.com

The Princess's Mommy said...

Oh Lordy! Now I'm bawling, again...That's the sweetest thing ever! Love, Monica

drew and lori said...

oh WOW- she is so beautiful!!! i am crying and i don't even have my cup of tea to sip while i read this! God is so cool isn't He??

Lisa said...

Lily Grace is a beautiful little girl. Your story you shared just made me want to cry! God is so good. It is amazing how things are revealed to us at times.
Lisa

Pandamonium Mom said...

Wow - what a beautiful little girl. She was beautiful then in her referral picture, but my...what being HOME and being LOVED by her family do to a girl! She is absolutely precious!

DeEtte

Journey to Lilly! said...

ohhhhh!! Thank you for sharing that story!! She was precious in her referal picture...but love has made her blossom! Lilly Grace is one blessed child.... but knew that from the first time I met her at the gym. Thanks for the nice comments on my blog. I got my CIS approval letter today & am very excited!

Kim Pintaro
www.pintaroadoption.blogspot.com

Tina said...

What a wonderful blessing! I can't wait until we get to see our Kara for the first time. Thanks for sharing such a special memory.