Tuesday, October 21, 2008

She Never Said a Word About It ...

Because that's what her husband had asked of her only weeks before. But God wanted me to know, and so He told me. In subtle and not so subtle ways. And He showed me everything I needed to know. Out of respect for privacy and admiration for an American hero, I will not say much more for now, but suffice it to say that God has placed before me an opportunity and a privilege and a responsibility to minister to the family of a fallen American hero. A man who did more for his country in a few short years than I can fully comprehend. By way of comparison, I feel inadequate. Don't get me wrong, I am very honored by what God has accomplished through me and of the family with which He has blessed me. Our God is an awesome God! He has given me the most awesome wife, son, and two daughters that anyone could wish for and has allowed me to work in His plan for adoption and care of His children in very magical ways. He has given me the opportunity to make the lives of children better by focusing on His Word and looking at one day at a time. And to see and understand their hurts and their joys, their wins and their losses. I've been blessed and honored to see what He has done through my own son, Austin, and I have been left in awe by the devotion He has placed in Connie's heart for Lily Grace and Lia Faith, and indeed every orphaned little girl in China.

But in this, I have been humbled. When I met her and her children, something seemed different and when I saw that powerful word "deceased" written next to "Father's name," I understood that this would be a more significant opportunity than I have been privileged to in the past. And then God opened His trophy room and allowed me in for a while to read the rest of the story. To review the list of accomplishments of this American hero, from the valor demonstrated and attained in achievements that earned him the Purple Heart to the instructions he gave his family in the event of his untimely calling is to simply be in awe. The term "bravery" has been rendered incapable and insufficient to describe the honor of this great American hero. The term "courage" is an imposter to what these heroes really possess. Those of us who don't understand simply refer to it as courage, but what heroes such as this live and breathe and walk in every day of their lives is beyond courage. They fight for freedom, mine and Connie's and Austin's and Lily's and Lia's, and yours, while we enjoy the fruits of their labor. They sacrifice and their families sacrifice because of a calling not understood by many, with full understanding that each day could be their last. And oftentimes, we simply take that for granted. Shame on us! And then God, as He is prone to doing, places something in our path that is too big, too significant to simply take for granted. Such was the case on this day. When you look into the eyes of a child and know that child is left fatherless by events they do not control, or even know about, through sacrifices that benefit you, you have no choice but to be humbled. And to weep for the child. And to ask God "What can I do?" Here am I, send me.

The answer is given in John Chapter 21, Verse 16 when Jesus says to Peter (and all disciples to follow) "Take care of my sheep." And again in Verse 17 "Feed my sheep." And later, in James 1:27, a verse written on the hearts of adoptive families around the world: "Religion that God, our Father, accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress..." That He would place before me an opportunity such as this at a time such as this is difficult to understand and I hope, I pray, that I can fulfill His hopes and His wishes for ministry in this case. I will do my best, but I will not do this alone, because without Him, I can accomplish nothing, but with Him I can do all things. I have asked the Pastor for his help and he has agreed. And thus, the Army of the Lord arises and stands ready to receive its orders.

Love,
Jerry, Connie, Austin, Lily Grace, and Lia Faith
Green, Party of Five

1 comments:

The Princess's Mommy said...

Oh Jerry....my prayers are with this family and with you as you minister to them. Please thank them for their sacrifice for our country and thank you, my friend, for your obedience to our Lord. (You know this is a subject that is very near and dear to my heart.) I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Love,
Monica